Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Wella.

My grandmother (middle)

My father's mother was born in 1925 in Aguadilla, Puerto Rico to Jacinto Ponce Villanueva and Casilda Medina.

Her name was Emma.

She was a small woman with bright eyes and interesting hands, both of which she passed on to me.

She had a knock-out smile.

She was a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a grandmother, a seamstress, a crocheter, a cook, a jewelry-maker, a gardener, a strong-willed woman.

From Aguadilla, to NYC, to Ybor City, to Ocoee, she touched many hearts with her sweetness and light.

My brother and I called her "Wella," short for "abuela."

She passed away Friday night with my dad, his wife, my brother, and myself at her side.

We take comfort in knowing she's in a much better place, and we will remember her always.

No comments: