Friday, May 26, 2006

Abstract Flower Brooch and Thread Collection

I was inspired by mollychicken's tutorial for simple fabric brooches. I made this one (my first) for my mother recently - hopefully she got it in the mail! I plan on making more of these soon, and also hairclip versions.

Specs:
+ multiple layers of materials from the following sources:
- suede scraps someone gave me
- egyptian cotton sheets
- cotton landscape print
- backside of stretch denim jeans
- fabric covered button from grandma's stash
- vintage sky blue cotton curtains
- brown cordouroy pants
- brown embroidery thread
+ about 4" across
+ 1-1/4" steel nickle-plated pin back

mixed fabric brooch for my mother
a close-up of my thread collection


And as you can see, this is part of my thread collection. I have a lot of wooden spools (most with little/no thread) that are up for grabs if anyone wants to trade me something for them :)

About two years ago on eBay, I won an auction of thread and small sewing-related knick knacks. I haven't bought a lot of new thread; this photo shows mostly someone else's old things.

No comments: